Tuesday, July 24, 2012

74 days

I was so out of sorts on my last post that I said I had 86 days till the marathon, when it was really less than that...I do have it right this week. :-)

As usual, here is a recap of my training week:

Monday:
Today I was supposed to do a training session and then run 6 miles, but I cancelled both. I'm not supposed to do either until my ear situation gets figured out. I can't stop running but I can stop lifting weights until then.

Tuesday:
I gave myself this day off too. I know it doesn't sound like a good decision with the marathon so close, but there were more pressing things on my mind. Not even a good run was going to solve these problems.

Wednesday:
Today I didn't have any training scheduled. What I did have scheduled was my CT scan and MRI. So while I don't know my test results yet (although it's been a few days and I haven't heard anything from my doctor yet, so I'm taking that as a good sign), what I did find out for sure is that I am officially claustrophobic. Holy moly.

I had the option to make some medication prior to the appt to relieve any anxiety, etc., but I decided not to take it since I had to go into work and was planning on driving home to my parents house that evening.

I got into the CT machine and freaked out. Like majorly freaked out. I laid down, the tech started moving me backwards into the machine and while she was doing that, didn't tell me what she was doing as she was doing it. It freaked me out. I needed to know how far I was going in, for how long, etc. she didn't give me any of that. I cried, I apologized, I got through it. But I knew the MRI would be worse. So for the 30 min in between appointments I was scared out of my mind.

When the MRI tech called me back, she said she heard I had some trouble with the CT scan and I just started crying. I was so scared. I got in the machine and the tears just rolled down my cheek. I hate small spaces, I hate being in something that I cannot get out of if I need to. It's horrible. This tech was great though, she talked me through each step. I was scared but I just closed my eyes, counted the seconds through each scan series and after about 20 min it was over. I hope I never have to do that again.

The doctor is supposed to call me for a follow up appointment to discuss the test results, but as I mentioned earlier since I haven't heard anything yet I am assuming that all is ok. I will still feel better once I know for sure.

Thursday:
Planned day off.

Friday:
I ran 6 miles on Friday, and felt really good at the end of it. Felt like I could go run another 6 miles. Was great!

Saturday:
Day off!

Sunday:
Today I was scheduled to run 16 miles. I was nervous, since it would be the longest distance I had ever run. I woke up early (so I could still get back to watch the Open with my dad), had a smoothie and I was off! I ran on the Olympic Discovery Trail. I thought I would run 5 miles east, then back, then 3 miles west, then back and have my whole 16 miles done. The weather was perfect running weather a little misty and nice and cool. I was enjoying the run and scenery so much that when I got to 5 miles I just kept going, and going and going, until I was in my hometown of Sequim. My parents house is outside the town by 8 miles. When I reached Sequim and 8 miles I turned around and made my way back. It was gorgeous. I felt good for the first 13 miles, but the last 3 were HARD. Probably ran 1/2 and walked 1/2 of the last three miles. But either way...I made it!! All 16 miles done! I almost still can't believe it. The best part...I wasn't sore at all the next day! One of my toes hurt a bit, but that was all! I'm finally starting to feel more confident that I can complete this marathon!

To end this post, here are a few pictures from my trip home and my run on Sunday.

Days till Marathon: 74
Total training miles: 291.85

1 comment:

  1. Amazing is what you are, Vanessa! Love your post and the pictures! Keep it up...you will be successful!

    ReplyDelete