Saturday, May 5, 2012

Corvallis Half Marathon

It was a week to go until my first half marathon of the year. I was excited because I felt like I have been really training hard, and in better shape for this half marathon, than any other one I’ve done. I did a great 11.5 miles on Sunday, and was ready for my weekly training. Monday I was still tired from my long run on Sunday, so I decided to give myself the day off. Went to bed Monday night and looked forward to my Tuesday run. Woke up on Tuesday and could barely breathe! My back hurt when I woke up and figured I had just slept funny, but by the time I got to work I could barely breathe. It was like my ribs were bruised. It was the weirdest thing. I already had plans to go out on Tuesday, so I figured another night of sleep would make them all better. Nope! Those damn things hurt until Friday. I almost went to the gym on Wednesday, but I didn’t want to hurt them more than they already did, so I opted to stay home. It was a smart choice I think. I’m pretty sure my body is sending me every possible signal that I shouldn’t be a runner, and I am doing as best as I can to avoid each and every one of them.

On Friday my stomach/ribs felt good enough to try a short run, in preparation for the race on Sunday. I went to the gym, ready to get a good run in. My breathing was ok, not too much pain, but then, around mile 2 I could feel my ITB's starting to act up. Talk about f'ing frustrating! I've been training for months with my knees cooperating and not bothering me, but noooooo, they have to act up the run before a race. Again, frustrating!




Race day finally came and it was a beautiful day in Corvallis! Minor per-race mishap when I lost my license but thankfully one of the volunteers picked it up and had it safe for me to pick up at the end of the race. Once that worry was gone I could focus on how to run the race. It was at last years race where I ran my personal best half marathon time, at 2 hours 47 min 20 seconds. This year I had trained harder and was in better shape, so I was really hoping to better my time. After a few more anxious per-race moments it was time to run!



The race started and I felt really good. I was paying attention to my watch to make sure I wasn't starting out to fast, kept to my pace and just enjoyed the run. I remembered that last year I stopped to walk a bit around the 4 mile mark, this year I didn't take a short walk break until 8 miles in. Also, from miles 4-6 there is one long gradual hill followed by small rolling hills for a while. Last year, because of my knees, I walked all the hills, just didn't think my knees would be able to withstand the  incline. This year I pushed myself through the hills though, which was a mini victory in itself. :)

My brother lives along the course route and he was going to cheer me on by his house, between mile 8-9. I was crushing along and I have to admit, I thought he was going to miss me. I had passed where I expected to see him and he wasn't there, so I figured he overslept for was there and had already gone. Next thing I knew, I turned the corner, and there he was! He smiled and waved and I weren't over for a quick second to say hi, I mean I was running a race, no long hellos allowed :). One of his roommates, whom I had never met, came with him which I though was really nice of him. I told Geoffrey I would see him in about an hour at the finish, and waved goodbye.

This is where the last few miles got hard. There were 4 miles to go, and by this time the sun was out and it was hot! I know, hot in April in Corvallis, but it really was! the last four miles were tough, but I just kept remembering how tough they were last year too, and that in comparison it was easy.

Since it was such a beautiful day out, lots of people were out cheering the runners on, which is always nice. It was fun to run down 26th street (fraternity row) and remember all the good times (and let's face it, bad times) I had there. I was getting closer, only about two miles to go and you pass the Memorial Union which was literally my home away from home for 4 years. And just when you can see the stadium and you think the finish is so close you can taste it, you take a right turn and you still have another mile to go. Possibly the cruelest mile on the course, just because you think you are so close to the finish but realize you still have another mile to go.

The whole course is beautiful, it has to be, it's in Corvallis, there's no other choice. It like a 3 hour run through memory lane for me, and it's wonderful. But the best part of the race is the finish line. As you finish the last mile you run through Reser stadium parking lot and run down the players tunnel onto the football field, you race to the 50 yard line where your name is called, you are on the jumbo ton, and most importantly...you are finished!

Unfortunately my brother had a bit of trouble getting to the finish on time, so I finished about 10 min before he could get there. But once he was there I gave Nima good ole sweaty hug, and thanked him for cheering me on.



I was a bit disappointed when I finished because according to the time I was keeping on my watch I though I was about a minute behind my time from last year. Which had me fairly down for a little bit confiding how much better prepared I was this year. But when I came home and checked the official times I was happy to see that I was actually faster this year...by a whole 4 seconds!! :)

I'm happy I ran the Corvallis half again this year, and I'll probably sign up for it again next year. It's out of the way, and takes some time to get there, but it really is gorgeous and I just love that place. When I left Corvallis, a little piece of my heart stayed there. :)


The good: I felt fine the next day! I tiny bit sore, but not at all what I expected. My training really worked!
The bad: Good grief did I get burnt! I didn't even think to put on sunscreen and my back got scorched!
The funny: my favorite sign: "Awesome job random dude that I don't know"

Total training miles: 153.4

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'm running my #2 half this year in Tacoma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, VW! You are setting your goals and knocking them down!

    ReplyDelete