Tuesday, January 31, 2012

4 miles, 4 blisters

Training run #2 is in the books. 4 miles at a 13:53 pace...yes, make all the slow poke jokes you want. I may get to the finish line at an excruciatingly slow pace, but I get there. Anyhoo...ran my four miles and at about mile 2 I could feel the blisters coming on. First, while I started my official training on Monday, it's not the first time I have run. After a longer than anticipated running break after the Portland half marathon (man is that a long story), I started running again at the beginning of January. So I've been running a while and not once did I get blisters, but on 2nd day of official training they come up...Grrrr. Secondly, I have mutant toes. My mom is to blame and she knows it. She blessed me with tiny feet (I could buy children's shoes if I really had to) and the fattest toes, particularly the pinky toe, that I have ever seen on a person. They are prone to blisters at the same probability that the sun will rise every morning. I've tried all kinds of things to try and get them less frequently, but nothing I try seems to work. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way. And to get gross for a minute, the blisters on my pinky toes are the worst. It's like getting blisters on blisters on blisters. I told you they were mutant. I just hope they will heal semi quickly and don't hamper my next training run on Thursday.

Two funny gym stories...
1) yesterday this person was in the gym...16 year old male, wearing while undershirt with polo shirt on top, cargo shorts, tube socks, ankle combat like boots and the kicker...beats by dre headphones...because having the most expensive headphones possible totally makes up for how ridiculous you look.
2) I finished my workout tonight and headed to the locker room to get my stuff, and fortunately for me a lady who had just finished spin class was getting her stuff right next to me. We all know I don't like people, right? Right. So imagine my horror when she just started talking to me about how "saturated" her bra was. She then proceeded to take off her bra and talked to me for another 2-3 min boobs hanging around. She finally put on a zip up sweatshirt and I though thIs would mean she would soon be covered up, but noooooo...she continued to talk to me with sweatshirt on, unzipped, boobs hanging. Why do people do this? I will never understand it. I don't care how many years I spent in locker rooms, they are for showering and quick changes, not hanging out with all you stuff out. Good grief.

I feel much better getting those stories out in the public :). Looking forward to a day off tomorrow, as the horrid tempo training session awaits me on Thursday.

Days till marathon: 250
Training runs left: 155
Total training miles: 8

1 comment:

  1. Maybe if you ran before the sun comes up you could trick the blister bunny :)

    ReplyDelete